Thursday, November 24, 2011

Frangipani

Several of these grow in the garden and the two larger ones are great for tying my orchids. Over the years we have collected some fragrant varieties and the one I like most has to be the Bali Hai with it's intense yellow colour and strong frangrance. To save space, I have resorted to grafting several varieties onto the same mother tree and now I have one producing six or seven different coloured blooms. I am still looking out for a nice blue one... the colour of those when available at local nurseries are still not blue enough.


Frangipani Bali Hai





Bill Moragne is the father of  Plumeria breeding. A professional horticulturist in Hawaii during the 1950's he pioneered and perfected the cross breeding/hybridizing technique for frangipanis.
His best hybrids set the standard years ago and they still do today. Plumeria rubra cv Bill Moragne is one of his best hybrids and one of my favourites as well.


Frangipani Bill Moragne



No comments:

Post a Comment